Sunday, November 1, 2009

Why is this called 'World is Moi oyster' and do you know of the Melbourne Cup??

Right....So I told my friends that now I am on to the blogging bandwagon and this is the name of my blog. One of the first questions that was raised was-why is it called 'World is moi Oyster'?

Quite a sensible question, my friends, I tell you.

Well, the blog is so named because I sincerely believe that the world is my oyster. I was born in India, came to Melbourne, plan to go to Canada now and then travel the entire world, one place at a time. I consider myself a citizen of the world and feel very restricted if forced to remain within certain parameters. The entire world is my home.

My culinary skills are a mix of Indian, Asian, Mexican, Italian and English. I speak three languages. I have friends from all across the world. My accent is now half-Indian, half-Aussie. The looks I invent for myself are influenced from all eras, and from all parts of the world. I consider myself to be very flexible and adaptable to the situations around me. Therefore, it is no surprise that the world is definitely my oyster.

I really hope that clears up the air about the unusual name for my blog. Note the 'moi' in my name. The only reason I couldn't take up 'my' was because the blog name was already taken up.....poor me.

Anyhow, tomorrow is Melbourne Cup Day. For those who don't know, it is one of the biggest horse racing carnivals in the world. The city literally comes to a standstill; it's crazy. There is obviously a whole lot of betting going on but more than that it is the 'Fashions on the Field' event that holds up the viewers' attention. The ladies dress up in their finest dresses, best hats and walk in with quite handsome men. It is really a sight to see and an excuse for the ladies to indulge. I am pretty sure, sales just go over the roof for all major shopping chains.

Well, no surprises the TV channels are more focussed on who is wearing what rather than the dear old horsies.

I, too am keeping my eyes fixed on the 'fashions on the field' and will be pestering a colleague, to give me all the details. After all, she is going to be there at Ground Zero tomorrow.
I suggest you go and have a look at the finery and take a look at the very good-looking website by visiting http://melbournecup.com/Melbourne-Cup-Carnival-2009.html

Have you ever attended a gala party? What were your experiences of the entire ritual of dressing up? Do post your comments below. Would love to hear from y'all.

lots of love

worldismoioyster

No comments:

Post a Comment