Friday, March 12, 2010

Day 1: 30-day Vegetarian Challenge

Yesterday, I was at home. Didn't have to go to work or lectures. So obviously, that gave me lot of time to have relaxed meals, which I absolutely cherish. I also went for a long walk and it was a fine day. Okay, now I did take pics as well the entire day but just can't seem to locate my phone's transfer wire at the moment to post them online. However, below is a detailed list of what I had. Post your comments and suggestions below, I would love to read them.

I started the day with a piece of fruit, a pear.

BREAKFAST: My breakfast consisted of two poached eggs on 2 multi-grain bread slices, smeared with canola spread.

LUNCH: For lunch, I had a delightfully delicious meal of two mushroom kathi roll. Traditionally, a kathi roll is made by putting together cooked dry veggies/meat in a flat bread, made of plain flour and wrapping it all together. However, I had cooked wholemeal wheat rotis , the Indian equivalent of a bread. That was definitely better since wholemeal is better than processed plain flour any day. To make the roll, I rolled up some mushroom and capsicum (bell pepper) sabzi*, wrapped it all up and devoured two of these rolls. They tasted absolutely great since the mushrooms and bell peppers were mixed well in a cooked mixture of tomatoes, onions, ginger, garlic, green chillies and spices.

*sabzi-In India, a sabzi means a cooked dry concoction of veggies/ meat. A curry, on the other hand is actually a sabzi, but having a liquid gravy.

EVENING SNACK: a cup of coffee along with a homemade snack. I made the snack in five minutes flat by simply heating up some oil and shallow-frying some peanuts. I then drained them and to the same oil added rice flakes which turned brown as soon as they got in touch with the hot oil. These rice flakes, aka poha or chivda is easily available at any Indian food store and is quite healthy. I then mixed the peanuts and the poha, added salt and pepper and gave it a good shake. It's a perfect any-time snack.

DINNER Dinner was simply oven-roasted broccoli, drizzled with olive oil, salt, pepper and some lemon juice. I then followed it with some leftover pumpkin soup.

So all in all, it was a hearty meal. Be back tomorrow with my meal for day 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment